MISSISSAUGA, May 16, 2022 (GLOBENEWSWIRE) – Next Hydrogen Solutions Inc. (the “Company” or “Next Hydrogen“) (TSXV:NXH, OTC:NXHSF), a designer and manufacturer of electrolyzers, is pleased to report its financial results for the first quarter ended March 31, 2022.
“The buildout and installation of our multi-platform test infrastructure in the first quarter was a huge milestone towards the Company’s product development roadmap,” said Raveel Afzaal, President and CEO of Next Hydrogen. “In addition, our new relationships with Black & Veatch and the New York State Energy Research and Development Authority, puts Next Hydrogen in an excellent position to participate in future large-scale multi-megawatt green hydrogen solutions.”
Q1 2022 Financial Highlights
- Revenue was $40,795 for the three-month period, compared to $NIL in the prior year, supported by the Company’s acquisition of CleanFuel Systems Inc. during the previous year
- Net loss was $3.7 million for the three-month period, compared to a loss of $2.2 million in the prior year
- Adjusted EBITDA was a loss of $2.6 million compared to a loss of $1.7 million in the prior year
- Cash balance was $35 million as of March 31, 2022, compared to $39.2 million as of December 31, 2021
Management is also proud to highlight a number of recent developments that demonstrate significant recent progress:
- The Company signed a memorandum of understanding with Black & Veatch, a global engineering, procurement, consulting and construction company, to develop a complete, large-scale, and integrated multi-megawatt green hydrogen solution and identify areas of deeper collaboration and specific global opportunities. Next Hydrogen’s unique hydrogen technology expertise and Black & Veatch’s vast customer network and engineering leadership will offer an integrated hydrogen solution to clients worldwide.
- Next Hydrogen joined a coalition of 40 partners that will work together, through the New York State Energy Research and Development Authority, to become one of at least four regional clean hydrogen hubs designated through the US federal Clean Hydrogen Hubs program included in the federal 2021 bipartisan Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act to advance a vision that enables a long-term sustainable clean hydrogen industry in the US Northeast. The coalition will be competitively positioned to advance a vision that enables a long-term sustainable clean hydrogen industry in the Northeast region and to develop a proposal in response to the United States Department of Energy (DOE) Funding Opportunity Announcement with $8 billion in funding available.
- The Company completed the installation of multiple test platforms at its new 27,000 square foot facility in Mississauga, Ontario. The test infrastructure includes bench scale test stands for qualification testing of new materials and performance characterization, pilot scale test equipment for validating new electrolyzer designs, durability and lifetime characteristics, and a factory acceptance test stand which is capable of testing commercial systems before they are shipped out to customers. This critical capability is expected to significantly accelerate the deployment of its new product lines in a reliable and cost-effective manner.
- The Company successfully upgraded its U.S. listing to the OTCQX under the symbol “NXHSF”, which is the highest market tier of OTC Markets and requires companies to meet high financial standards, follow best practice corporate governance and demonstrate compliance with applicable securities laws.
For a more detailed discussion of Next Hydrogen’s first quarter results, please see the Company’s financial statements and management’s discussion and analysis, which are available on the Company’s website at nexthydrogen.com or on SEDAR at www.sedar.com.
About Next Hydrogen
Founded in 2007, Next Hydrogen is a designer and manufacturer of electrolyzers that use water and electricity as inputs to generate clean hydrogen for use as an energy source. Next Hydrogen’s unique cell design architecture supported by 39 patents enables high current density operations and superior dynamic response to efficiently convert intermittent renewable electricity into green hydrogen on an infrastructure scale. Following successful pilots, Next Hydrogen is scaling up its technology to deliver commercial solutions to decarbonize transportation and industrial sectors.
Non-IFRS Financial Measures
The following financial measure does not have any standardized meaning under IFRS and may not be comparable to similar measures employed by other companies:
Adjusted EBITDA is calculated as net income before interest, income taxes, depreciation and amortization (“EBITDA”), adjusted for share-based compensation, unrealized gain (loss) on foreign exchange, transaction costs and other unusual and non-recurring items.
Management believes that this financial measure is useful for investors and other readers, when used in conjunction with other IFRS financial measures, as it is a measure used internally by management to evaluate performance. However, this financial measure is intended to provide additional information and should not be considered in isolation or as a substitute for measures of financial performance prepared in accordance with IFRS.
|Raveel Afzaal, President and Chief Executive Officer
Next Hydrogen Solutions Inc.
This news release contains “forward-looking information” and “forward-looking statements”. All statements, other than statements of historical fact, are forward-looking statements and are based on expectations, estimates and projections as at the date of this news release. Any statement that involves discussions with respect to predictions, expectations, beliefs, plans, projections, objectives, assumptions, future events or performance (often but not always using phrases such as “expects”, or “does not expect”, “is expected”, “anticipates” or “does not anticipate”, “plans”, “budget”, “scheduled”, “forecasts”, “estimates”, “believes” or “intends” or variations of such words and phrases or stating that certain actions, events or results “may” or “could”, “would”, “might” or “will” be taken to occur or be achieved) are not statements of historical fact and may be forward-looking statements. Forward-looking statements are necessarily based upon a number of estimates and assumptions that, while considered reasonable, are subject to known and unknown risks, uncertainties, and other factors which may cause the actual results and future events to differ materially from those expressed or implied by such forward-looking statements. Such factors include, but are not limited to: the risks associated with the hydrogen industry in general; delays or changes in plans with respect to infrastructure development or capital expenditures; the uncertainty of estimates and projections relating to costs and expenses; failure to obtain necessary regulatory approvals; health, safety and environmental risks; uncertainties resulting from potential delays or changes in plans with respect to infrastructure developments or capital expenditures; currency exchange rate fluctuations; as well as general economic conditions, stock market volatility; and the ability to access sufficient capital. There can be no assurance that such statements will prove to be accurate, as actual results and future events could differ materially from those anticipated in such statements. Accordingly, readers should not place undue reliance on the forward-looking statements and information contained in this news release. Except as required by law, there will be no obligation to update the forward-looking statements of beliefs, opinions, projections, or other factors, should they change.